FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA Pilot Diverts to Remove Autistic Child From Plane for Safety Reasons
Old May 11, 2015, 8:34 am
Emma1420

Originally Posted by halls120
If Mom was aware of her child's needs to have a hot meal, it was on her to check with United before the flight to find out whether her special needs could be accommodated. I feel bad for the burden shouldered by these parents, but it's on them to find out beforehand what is and is not available.

If I were the judge in this case, I'd rule summarily in UA's favor, and award them court costs.
ICAM. Did the airline even know that the passenger may have a special need in advance? I am assuming as the parents thought they could get a hot meal on board the answer is probably no.

Perhaps the FA didn't handle this situation as well as they could, but it's ultimately up to their parents to insure that they have everything they need on a flight. If the family had been traveling via the bus would they have assumed they would have access to hot food? Because flying (especially in coach) really isn't anything more than bus that goes more quickly.