FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 7 Full Days in UAE - Trip Recommendations
Old May 11, 2015, 5:57 am
beofotch

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Here is a question along the same lines. In February 2016 my wife and I will be in Dubai for 4 nights and 5 days. On one of the days, a Sunday, I think we decided we would like to make a (long) day trip to Khasab to explore the area. We are staying at the Park Hyatt Dubai, and plan to rent a car and drive up to Khasab and explore this beach and maybe have a picnic in this thicket. We would return to the Park Hyatt Dubai the same day.

My questions for the crew here are:

1) What is the most convenient way to rent a car from 24 hours when staying at the Park Hyatt Dubai? I have Hertz and Avis top status so would prefer to rent with them if it is convenient. What is the Oman insurance surcharge usually?

2) I know for the longer drive from Khasab to Dibba a 4WD is mandatory. However, for Dubai to Khasab to a couple of spots nearby could a simple 2WD sedan rented in Dubai make the trek safely? I am used to driving on mountain/gravel roads for what it is worth.

3) Does the Lulu Hypermarket accept credit card? We are going for a day trip so ideally I don't want to convert AED currency to Omani currency. We can pay for the entry visas (USA citizenship) at the Oman border in AED if I read correctly.

4) Any other tips, suggestions, or risk mitigation strategies?

Last edited by beofotch; May 11, 2015 at 5:37 pm