FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - As Security Tightens, the Race Goes to the Savviest
Old Jan 20, 2002, 8:11 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

As Security Tightens, the Race Goes to the Savviest

As Security Tightens, the Race Goes to the Savviest

The three pros advanced confidently along the V.I.P. security line at O'Hare International Airport, identification in hand, Palm Pilots and cellphones packed away, pockets emptied of change and other miscellaneous items, laptops out and ready for X-ray.

"I was flying out of Philadelphia Wednesday night, and you had people who acted like they'd never seen a metal detector before," said one of the three, Stuart Graff, 38, a lawyer for a Chicago consumer products company who racked up more than 100,000 miles on business last year, which with bonus points translated into 400,000 frequent flier miles. "There was one guy who took about five minutes to unload his pockets. He was taking out coins and keys. It took about 90 minutes to get through security."

Anthony Sitko, 37, another lawyer, and Roger Palmer, 40, a product engineer, who were with Mr. Graff and who are also experienced business travelers, nodded knowingly. They have no complaints about heightened security. They have adapted. Mr. Sitko pointed to his shoes — loafers, the perfect new airport shoe. "You can step out of them for screening," he explained.

Mr. Graff said: "They should have separate lines for amateurs and professionals. Those of us who know how to go through airports should be able to go through quickly. Just keep me away from grandma with all her gifts for the grandchildren."

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/01/20/national/20AIRP.html