FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Off to Star megado on Oneworld - mostly business incl brand new AA 787
Old May 9, 2015, 3:07 am
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
almost inaugural Chicago O'Hare to Dallas-Fort Worth (ORD-DFW) on American Airlines 787-800 in first

When I found out the first commercial flight on American Airlines 787 was just a few days before megado, when I'd already be in USA en route and had considerable flexibility in where I would be on any given day, so I tried to get on the very first flight. I've been on many (over 20?) inaugural flights of various kinds over the years. They are generally great fun.

There was availability in first for the 2nd flight but not for the first. I waited a few days to see if anything opened up for the inaugural. After a few days I gave up and ticketed for the 2nd flight, not wanting to risk other parts of my itinerary becoming unavailable in the meantime. So I missed the first flight which had over 70 FTers onboard (yes a third of the passengers for a commercial flight!). I notice there are at least half a dozen reports on the inaugural flight by FTers.

I checked out the gate before heading for the lounge - in part to see how long it would take to walk there since it was the furthest possible from the lounge, but also to see what was being set up at tha gate. There was nothing there when I walked by so I traipsed back down L pier to the lounge. On entering the lounge the agent noted my boarding pass was printed the day before and said she'd double check for me if the gate had changed. I said I'd be surprised if it is given there aren't many gates that can take the 787. She laughed and then got quite animated talking about the new aircraft. It is good to see staff care about this.

I headed to the gate early, but not as early as I would have had I not been to the gate earlier in the day. I figured, correctly, that there wasn't going to be any ceremony at the gate. There was a token effort, with bags of popcorn for free and a bunch of balloons tied up at a table. There were 45 passengers on the upgrade list - none cleared. On boarding we were given a small goodie bag, which I understand matches the one given out on the inaugural flight. It had a little bag, tablet case, portable power supply, ear buds, two bags of popcorn and an inaugural 787 flight medallion.

I had a forward window seat in the second business class cabin - after these initial domestic flights for a few weeks the 787 will be used on international flights only and thus has business and coach cabins, it is just for the initial domestic flights the front cabins are sold as first. The layout is odd and doesn't seem that smart although it is highly efficient space-wise. Every second seat is rear-facing. The layout is 1-2-1. The forward facing window seats are rather tight across the shoulders for lying down - there is more room in the rear-facing window seats. The forward facing inner seats are angled inwards and so not good for a couple (bodies too far apart for easy conversation). The rear-facing inner seats are angled outwards and better for a couple. Thus in the mini cabin with 8 seats there is just 2 that work well for a couple. Alternatively the rear-facing inner seat and the forward facing window seat are just across the aisle and thanks to the slight offset in rows can easily see each other and converse.

As for the seat itself it is a bit cramped for longhaul. The seat walls are solid and high - the only space to the aisle is a small one at your feet (when sitting upright) and where the arm rest is lowered for take off, taxi and landing. Seat adjustments are on a touch screen. This worked okay in my seat but didn't for some seats. The seat reclines fully flat but I found it far too tight to be comfortable. In seat mode the seat was comfy but not good if you are claustrophobic.

Overhead bins are good size - very deep and happily take a modest sized rollaboard end in and on the edge rather than flat. The coathook on my seat was tiny and doesn't seem like it will take anything bulky.

Monitors are big and swing out from the seat wall. The IFE controller is touch screen. On my seat the monitor kept cutting out and oddly tapping the screen would bring it back on. However some parts of the IFE, such as wifi and chat were not working properly. Too many people trying them out I think. We were not given any headsets to use. Flight path was pretty good although I thought the little icons for right and left side map views were back to front.

There is a good sized shelf, and the table is decent size also. The cubby hole for putting stuff in however is tiny. It would be full with just a pair of noise cancelling headphones.

Pre-departure beverage was water, orange juice or bubbles. We had a water salute after pushing back from the gate. The pilot gave a big spiel about how wonderful this new aircraft was and how it was the second commercial flight (for AA of course - there are plenty of 787s flying now). After reaching cruise altitude one of the pilots came through the first/business cabins and had a (reasonably lengthy) chat with every one on the left hand side until he got in the way for meals being served. I don't think he got to the right hand side passengers.

Lunch was a choice of chicken salad or ravioli, plus quinoa salad, roll, and cookie or chocolate cheesecake for dessert.

The flight passed all too quickly and we soon landed at DFW and taxied into A terminal. It was good to have a chat with a few old friends. Apologies to the other people I had meant to meet but didn't who were also on the flight (or hanging around after taking the inaugural flight up).

--------------
Edited to add.

I forgot to mention the forward facing seats all have shoulder belt (as well as the more usual lap belt). Also the bulkhead at the front of economy was extremely squeaky. Hopefully whatever is rubbing quickly wears down so it doesn't squeak - it was very annoying for a sub 2 hour flight and I can't imagine how I'd feel about it after a longhaul flight.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; May 9, 2015 at 7:46 pm