FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Siam Hotel, Bangkok
View Single Post
Old May 6, 2015, 6:10 am
pricesquire
Suspended

Originally Posted by RodHK
The Siam is surely a very special place, even if a bit too far from the city center of Bangkok, expect about 1hr by taxi and more than 30 minutes by boat so location not so convenient and the view on the river is not the one you can expect... There is a kind of factory opposite bank and this is not the gorgeous view you would love to have... Not any lovely temple around.
I've been impressed by the design and the layout, much less by the maintenance and the cleanliness not up to the standards of a high end property. However, let's say the atmosphere is really peaceful and exclusive.
I've loved the villa layout and this plunge pool just perfect to refresh in a pretty romantic courtyard. However, for those who are a bit claustrophobic, these accommodations can be a bit dark with no views due to the small courtyard.
Restaurant was less than average and service really too slow. Moreover, may I suggest you to order more dishes than you think cause portions are ridiculous and I'm not a big eater...
Breakfast served in the villa was pretty disappointing as well... They even forget to bring preserve and jams which is unacceptable when the bar rate is up to 300 US$ (which is a lot in a city where the room rates are pretty low).
The worst was probably the terrible smell in the bathroom... I guess it was coming from the pipes and water drainage system but at a point, it wasn't even possible to go into the bathroom... What a shame.
After reporting my feedback to the GM, I've had the impression he truly didn't care, even considering me like an annoying customer. I think the rule of a GM is to ensure everything is perfect (even more in a property pretending to be as good as an Aman). I'm so surprised Mr Freedman worked for Aman in the post because he lost all the philosophy to become a very snobbish GM, pretty pretentious and without any worry if customers are happy or not.
I was so sorry cause The Siam has a sensational potential and I would have loved to return and give an other chance but when you're ignored by the GM who had as only objective to make you feel guilty to complain, there is no point to give an other try.
I'm very surprised Mr Freedman has so many positive feedbacks cause I have an extensive experience of five stars hotels and I haven't been impressed at all by his way of management.
A few notes in reply to the above..

1) "A factory opposite" - weird, never saw this. I saw a local, multi-story hotel across the way. Of course, not the prettiest thing, and certainly not a temple, but I didn't find it to be an eyesore, by any standard.

2) Didn't have any issues with cleanliness or maintenance. In fact, I had the opposite. Two instances:

a) My wife does yoga, and brings her own mat. Part of that entails her practicing yoga at different points of the hotel. After practicing in 4 different spots - one of which was in our room - she mentioned how clean things were (again, she was on the floor....).

b) Maintenance men and cleaning staff was roving around the hotel almost 24/7.

3) Totally agree re: slow service at Siam. That said, I found that issue across the board all over Thailand. Had that everywhere - FSTC, Amanpuri, etc.

4) Totally disagree re: the food. Portions were small but it was a welcome respite from overfilling on street food. Price point is "moderate" to "a bit above average" IMO. ...but you're at a 5* hotel, whatcha expect?

5) Didn't have your experience at all re: bathroom smell. In fact, I loved the bathrooms so much, I couldn't stop taking pictures! My wife and I commented to each other: "these bathrooms are so nice we could hang out in here"

6) Re: Jason as the GM...

He is quite the figure, and I often tell clients "you'll either love him or you'll hate him". I personally love his management style - as I don't need a GM in my face 24/7. I like them to be present, but not all over the place.

I find this comment interesting: "I'm so surprised Mr Freedman worked for Aman in the post because he lost all the philosophy to become a very snobbish GM, pretty pretentious and without any worry if customers are happy or not."

The Aman GM - Amanpuri/Fred - was pretentious. Period. Jason was a breath of fresh air compared.