FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New routes / extra frequencies to and from TLV - all airlines
Old May 5, 2015, 1:07 pm
ELY001

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by TLVtraveler
clubman, I agree CX is a great airline in all classes (F/J/Y included!!).

I think some of us are missing the bigger picture about EL AL, LY will never be CX, LH, SQ, EY etc... LY is not suppose to have the best hard or soft product, nor do they have to be the cheapest. LY is the lifeline of Israel, we are not living in a conflict free country. In case of a disaster or war do you really think we can count on foreign airlines? take the last conflict in Gaza for example.
I'm not saying that we should all fly EL AL for that reason alone regardless of price/schedule/other. I'm simply saying that one of the reasons I keep coming back to LY is their reliability when it comes to irregular situations. I find LY staff to be extremely helpful and flexible, that's why I love flying LY.
I agree with your premise that EL AL is the lifeline of Israel and therefore needs to be preserved. What I completely disagree with is the erroneous notion that EL AL cannot be turned into a first rate airline. Since TLV, on a seat per mile basis, is one of the most profitable routes in the industry, LY could easily be turned into a first rate and extremely profitable carrier. The problem is that the company was never restructured for industry competition after it was privatized, and is weighed down by huge debt loads, outdated legacy contracts, and ineffective management (which we have discussed on this forum at great length).

Should those issues be resolved, EL AL could easily become one of the leading airlines in the world and greatly expand the size and scope of it's operations. That sort of expansion will have the added effect of solidifying the lifeline EL AL is for Israel.