FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Standard rooms available at hotel -- Hyatt says GP rooms 'not available'
Old May 4, 2015, 6:50 pm
gooseman13

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by moulder3
I'm a Diamond member going on 5 years and (if true) this is the first I've heard of this...

I was just told by Diamond Concierge (and supposedly confirmed by someone in guest services) that full-service Hyatt hotels are "allowed to have capacity controls on how many Gold Passport point rooms they offer, regardless if a standard king/double room is available."

Allow me to give my situation... Hyatt Regency X has plenty of rooms currently available over a popular weekend in their city, although the rates are on the higher-end (around $425+) and no free nights are available (at 15,000 points). The hotel does not have standard king/double rooms listed under their daily rate, but does have standard rooms listed on another rate plan (bed & breakfast), indicating they do have standard rooms available in the hotel on those dates.

As all of us frequent travelers know, many hotels already do everything they can to get out of offering points rooms (such as calling standard rooms 'river view,' 'ocean view' or 'preferred' rooms) to extremely limit their quantity of standard rooms as-is. I never expected HGP to side with the hotel though!

Have I really missed this in all my years with Hyatt? What's our incentive to continue accumulating points when at least SPG (and possibly Marriott?) forces their hotels to accept points 100% of the time, if standard rooms are available? Please let me know if this really is the policy at Hyatt... I honestly don't see the value in all these points if their hotels can simply say 'no thanks,' they don't want to take points on any given weekend.
If the points don't have value to you, I'll offer to take them. Thank you!