FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - My first ever trip report - Australia, New Zealand and Hong Kong. Oh My!
Old May 4, 2015, 1:10 pm
essjay2009

Sydney No2

CNS to SYD Boeing 737-800
Another uneventful Qantas flight with exit row seating only notable for the really rather horrific in flight meal. I think this was supposed to be beef.

[photo of meal]

We took a taxi from SYD to the Pullman Quay Grand hotel (oddly, the taxi driver had never heard of it, so it took a bit of explaining). No special welcome or upgrade but we did get a gift, so opted for the cheese board and wine.

The Quay Grand isn’t a traditional hotel. It’s recently been converted from an apartment building and the rooms are still set up as apartments with full kitchens (being two weeks in to a five week break, the washing machine came as a welcome addition). The room had a spectacular view of the harbour bridge.

[photo of harbour bridge at night]

Sydney Harbour at night by essjayt, on Flickr

And was fairly big. It was, however, a little tired and dated. It also wasn’t as clean as it could have been.

[photos of room]

If you’re looking for a hotel like experience though, this may not be the place for you. We were given vouchers for a welcome drink on arrival so dropped our stuff at the room and went to the bar. It was in the process of closing. This was at 9pm. The next night we planned to eat in the well reviewed restaurant only to find out that it’s closed on Sundays. These are frustrating decisions in a city centre hotel.

We crammed a fair bit in to our second Sydney visit. We climbed the Harbour Bridge at sunset. You’ll have to forgive the completely unflattering boiler suits!

[photo of bridge climb]

and visited Sydney Opera House to see Madama Butterfly

[photo of opera house interior]

On our last day in Sydney we took a full day tour to the Blue Mountains with Dingo Tours. They’re a small tour operator and there were about 10 people on our small tour bus. We had a private tour of a small zoo including a chance to meet the koalas and feed the wallabies.

[zoo photos]

A visit to an aboriginal visitor centre with private performance

[photos of aboriginal performance]

and a tour around the mountains themselves

[photos of blue mountains]

Our guide, Menashe did a good job of keeping us away from the larger tour groups and taking us to areas with few other people. He timed the entire thing perfectly. The zoo and aboriginal experience were a little touristy for my liking and we’re not the sort of couple that regularly goes on tours. Unfortunately, given the amount of time we had in the area it was either this or not see the Blue Mountains at all. If you’re going to do it, definitely pick one of the smaller companies, and I can recommend Dingo Tours if you’re looking for that sort of thing.

Next day we were off to New Zealand!