FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AMEX Plat Charges Declined and Review?
View Single Post
Old May 4, 2015, 11:20 am
wildchartermage

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I assume that you successfully activated the new card first? Sometimes I've been asked to get on the phone with an AmEx rep to convince them that it's me when I either have a newly renewed card or when my spending pattern looks unusual for me or looks like it might be a case of fraud. I've also experienced apparent declines when the merchant or website didn't process the transaction correctly; in those cases, usually AmEx doesn't even see an attempt to use the card.

Nevertheless, IMO it's not wise to use a new Plat card for MS or in a way that could be viewed as irresponsible, especially if your application wasn't a straightforward case of regular salary income that can be easily verified.
Yeah, I had activated the new card first. But I'm just concerned about their remark needing to do more "research" into my account.

Arrgh, I was targeted for the 100K offer and I was hoping to MS $3k in a month before I leave for Europe.

If they ask for FR and don't want to see my bank statements of my unearned income, maybe I'll just cancel the card and apply for AMEX in the future when I have regular income that can be shown on my tax return. I'm looking at getting a Chase Sapphire Card.