FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Antarctica for someone prone to seasickness
Old May 3, 2015, 11:37 pm
bocastephen
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
If you can find a compounding pharmacy to make it, Scopolamine is your best choice. It's the same drug in the patch, but compounded into a pill form where the dose can be tailored by your doctor and the pharmacist for maximum effect without too much of a side effect.

I've tried every over the counter remedy imaginable, dramamine, bonine, accupressure, ginger, etc - all totally useless. Took Scopolamine (back when it was sold at pharmacies before being discontinued, but it can still be compounded) and took a glacier cruise in Alaska with 18-20ft swells against an 80ft tour boat, and sat there happy as a pie eating lunch and having seconds because every other tourist and half the crew were on the ground praying for a quick and painless death.

Aside from that, I'm still looking for higher end tours where you can get very up close and personal with different penguin species and even seals. I recall reading about such a tour in one of the magazines where the author was walking around taking pictures with a parade of curious penguins trailing behind single file, then bumping into each other and toppling over every time he stopped to take a photo.