FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The 2015 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation 261/2004
Old May 3, 2015, 6:30 pm
1Aturnleft

Originally Posted by nufnuf77
I have a quick question for the clever people here.
I had two flights on the same PNR within EU connecting in London. First flight (from VIE) early in the morning arriving at LHR at 9am and it was on time.
Then I had a day in London and departed from LGW for GLA in the evening. This flight arrived with 151 minutes of delay. I thought I would claim 250E for the 'above 2 hours delay on a flight <1500km'. Can I do this, or does the whole ticket have to be taken into account (thus pushing the distance >1500km VIE-GLA)?
I don't think so. As you were presumably on a thru ticket, the way the journey is calculated is essentially Vienna - Glasgow. You chose the lengthy stopover as the passenger (presumably to make use of a day in London). When coming to calculate distances, the airline will work this on a VIE-GLA basis which puts you in excess of 1500km and requires a minimum delay of 3hrs in order to qualify for eligibility. At 151mins delay, this puts you 29mins short of qualifying.

If your reservation was on 2 separate bookings (ie VIE/LHR on one booking and LGW/GLA the other) the second booking would be eligible as you rightly point out this sector is under 1500km and requires a minimum delay of 2hrs in order to be deemed eligible. I'm guessing you opted for one reservation to either reduce the amount of tax payable or for the free domestic sector under RFS?