FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Canadian SPG American Express
View Single Post
Old May 1, 2015, 6:12 am
grandgourmand

Originally Posted by OliverB
Thanks for letting me know; I normally wouldn't have bothered were it not for our upcoming stay, which makes it more than worthwhile as we'll be staying for nothing (zip! zero! zilch!) in a room which would otherwise run higher than 10k Euros (with tax etc) for 10 full nights! So as far as I'm concerned, the points purchase in this instance was a great value and while the forex fees are a pain, I suppose it's nice to know I can expect a higher Starpoint earning (~650 vs 525) on the next statement at least, hehe...
Not to burst your bubble...but you are paying something for that room. Annual fees on the cards, the points you purchased, opportunity cost for not using a different credit card (e.g. cashback).

Nonetheless, based on the numbers you provide for that redemption you should get CAD5c of value per point (10k Euro/267k SPG points), which is pretty darn good!

Enjoy your trip and good luck with the booking. Keep in mind, it does take another 3-5 days to transfer from one family member to the other, on top of the 30-day qualification period.

I also received a call from SPG about the transfer (as did my wife who transferred to me). They are on the lookout for fraud, as some people sell the points, I guess, by pretending to share an address.