FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Operational Upgrades (op up) - all about and "I got one" (consolidated)
Old Apr 29, 2015, 8:53 am
imapilotaz

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by kboo
I realized it's been over a year since I've been here... ! Taking the family (DH and the kid) to Disney World tomorrow, JFK-MCO. Last summer when we did this trip, we got free upgraded when checking our bags. Wondering whether we stand a chance of pixie dust again... EF shows about 50% of the seats in first available, and a lot of availability in Preferred Economy, which makes me think there are not very many elites on this flight.

What are the chances - are there any guidelines for how these are done at the airport?

(this post is 90% idle speculation, since it looks like we'll have plenty of room in our Preferred Economy seats anyway - the kid is 3 - and I am too cheap to use my 500-mile upgrades on such a short flight).
Unless coach is oversold and they operationally upgrade you, pretty much 0% chance. I've been on many a flight with my family of 4 (me EXP, kid PLT), with first not full and needless to say no one ever came and got me or my kid to upgrade... the seat will go out empty or with a non-rev in it. On the flip side, those flights typically end up having so few elites that the FA's are very attentive over the only EXP on the flight (me). My poor kids have no idea that my Monday morning DFW-LAX flights with 60+ EXPs never have this type of service.

As an FYI, until the reservation system merges, you can fly US metal/coded flights and get you and your companion upgraded free without certificates. Im doing this for summer vacation specifically for this reason, as the 24 upgrade stickers combined for them round trip would cost me a blooming fortune.