FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - My $400 AA Mistake Fare to PVG Turned Into Cathay First Class
Old Apr 28, 2015, 9:31 pm
elliottishere

Programs: AA ExPlat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by JDiver
So, now you want compensation?
Am I able to request a take home bottle of Krug?

I also wrote to AA praising Janet and they never responded to me.

Originally Posted by VNAFlyer
Not that it needed to be said, but I hope you put your AAdv in the record for what probably is coded as a full F fare.

Good to hear that AA did right by you.
Thanks! They did put my AAdvantage number on my ticket. I ended up getting the same points but more miles versus the original itinerary which was nice.

Originally Posted by Paulakers2010
Glad that you were taken care by a couple of different excellent OneWorld partners. However, as much as I enjoyed the IRROPs handling in OneWorld like OP did, I failed to see what exactly the $400 AA mistake fare had to do with your IRROPs accommodation. Even if it was a $3k, $4k, or $8k J fare, I bet the handling process would be similarly fascinating. So if you paid more, did it mean you were not as amazed even if you were accommodated the same way as you are now?

There is no point to make a big deal of how you got into the CX F when you were ticketed in AA discount business class fare. Booked in J; then they would do their best to get you in J, or F during IRROPs.
It has more to do with the shear jump from a mistake to a $16,600 oneway ticket. For many others including myself, paying for Cathay First Class is just something I won't be able to do. So being given this opportunity was really great. Also, CX is notoriously hard for F awards. For the vast majority of people, they will never be able to experience this and it was just a winding turn of events that led so something great.

Originally Posted by jerryhung
Cool story, Asian carrier service is really top notch usually

Although IMO
- $400 fare had nothing to do with this IRROP change
- staying extra 2 days may not work for many people, be glad you're in HKG and not some tiny city
- I hope you got some compensation besides the F-class? no voucher/credit at all?

by the way, did CX/KA-AA protect you ONLY because you were on 2 separate but ONEWORLD tickets? which I know OW protects........

I'd imagine if you were on *A for say PVG-TPE r/t, you may be out of luck instead
Correct that the $400 fare didn't effect the outcome, but see above. In regards to staying two extra days, the first day I was basically told you have to stay in HKG. I was not offered any alternative flight accommodation. For the second day, I was offered economy. However, that required overnighting in JFK to connect on to DC. If I'm going to overnight somewhere, I rather be in HKG than some JFK airport hotel.

For vouchers, they paid for my hotel both nights. And yes, I was on two separate tickets within ow.

While everyone has a reason to get home on time (aka work), if it just isn't going to work out, getting upset won't get you home any faster. Me yelling at the KA people won't open up inventory to the States. Just go to Ozone, have a drink, and enjoy the impromptu trip!