FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - View from the Wing [VFTW] discussions
View Single Post
Old Apr 27, 2015, 9:51 am
FallenPlat

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
For me what's interesting is how many people think they're oh-so-sophisticated and yet, in reality, they're not at all.

A couple of you hit the nail on the head. Gary's most definitely making fun of people who hate his "click bait" titles, and at that level the post is pretty funny. That's the inside joke here . . . and, of course, most of us here already "get" that.

At another level of analysis, as also already pointed out above, there's an unfortunate juxtaposition of a minimum-wage worker (evidently with several real-life issues) with someone who jets around the world with Royal Ambassador status from Intercontinental. I don't imagine that there's any malice intended here, but the juxtaposition does seem more than a bit unfortunate.

There's also clearly an element of simply sticking a thumb in the eyes of all those we-hate-click-bait readers out there.

And then a lot of folks in the comments just take themselves too seriously . . . which ironically just adds to the joke and makes it funnier.

The real irony here? I'm one of those who missed the joke! I've gotten so used to so many of Gary's very skippable posts that I saw the first line of the title and then moved on without reading or even noticing the second line, which is where the joke is.