FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Beware of Dubai and Doha SIXT
View Single Post
Old Apr 27, 2015, 3:51 am
raunow

Programs: SAS EBD, BA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
Had a overall OK rental with SIXT DXB in Feb. despite some concerns from reading this thread.

Reservation was a IDAR (MB A Class) for a week. At early morning pickup in DXB T1, booth was staffed by a single (male) SIXT employee. I asked if a Plat upgrade was available and was told that he unfortunately didn't have any cars available for upgrade.

During the lenghty processing of my reservation a second employee arrived (female - seemed senior). When she started to assist the first employee with my rental, I casually asked her if a Platinum upgrade is available (without mentioning I'd asked before), to which she answered "Yes of course, we'd be happy to upgrade a you to a MB C Class as Platinum" :-)

When he heard her answer, the first employee asked her "But their car is already prepared" to which she answered him "Just bring out a C Class to them". He then walked us to the parking, where an A class was parked on the curb, and asked us to wait a minute until he brought out our car, a new C Class Sedan (FDAR), that was a nice upgrade for our weeklong rental :-)

Lesson learned: If a junior service worker in UAE says "not possible, due to <xxx>", he/she just as likely may be saying "not possible according to my process", "I'm not empowered to do that" or "that's a little to much work for me to do"...

Not really the first time I've learned that lesson, but next time an upgrade is turned down by Sixt UAE because of no availability, I'll ask if it's possible to bring out an upgrade car instead of the one they've prepared.

Last edited by raunow; Apr 27, 2015 at 3:58 am