FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA Orders Boeing 777-300ERs / 77Ws w/ 1-2-1 Polaris Business, 3-4-3 Economy
Old Apr 25, 2015, 2:11 pm
mduell
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by gpicur
Am I the only one on this thread that finds it odd that UA would trade away technologically advanced aircraft options (i.e. 789s) for planes with 20 year old technology (i.e. 777s ) ? I personally was excited about the 787 aircraft and all of the new options (higher air pressure, added humidity, bigger windows, ambient light, etc). Will the new 777s have any of these new technological options ??
No, it's the same basic 1990s airframe with a winglet/engine update in 2005 and possibly newer overhead lighting. No air pressure, humidity, or window improvements on the two decade old 777s UA already operates.

Originally Posted by gpicur
I have a theory about why UA is making this switch which has not yet been covered in this thread. Sure, UA got a deep discount for the 777s and Boeing gave them consideration (cash) for their 787 options, but the likely new High Density seating arrangements on the new 777s is a clue to my theory.

I believe the industry is being set up for a worldwide pilot shortage. UA is not the only airline taking these HD actions (AC, LH and even some EK aircraft have HD configs). I believe that the A380, which has had a dismal commercial debut, will within 5 years be the darling of the industry as worldwide seat demand grows exponentially but the pilot supply remains flat or dwindles.
The current.... lets call them structural issues rather than a shortage... in the pilot market are impacting the 20, 30, 40, 50 seat aircraft. They have no impact now nor in the foreseeable future on the 250, 350 seat market.