FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA Orders Boeing 777-300ERs / 77Ws w/ 1-2-1 Polaris Business, 3-4-3 Economy
Old Apr 25, 2015, 7:34 am
fly18725

Originally Posted by gpicur
Oh Wise UA FT Sages:

Am I the only one on this thread that finds it odd that UA would trade away technologically advanced aircraft options (i.e. 789s) for planes with 20 year old technology (i.e. 777s ) ? I personally was excited about the 787 aircraft and all of the new options (higher air pressure, added humidity, bigger windows, ambient light, etc). Will the new 777s have any of these new technological options ??

I have a theory about why UA is making this switch which has not yet been covered in this thread. Sure, UA got a deep discount for the 777s and Boeing gave them consideration (cash) for their 787 options, but the likely new High Density seating arrangements on the new 777s is a clue to my theory.

I believe the industry is being set up for a worldwide pilot shortage. UA is not the only airline taking these HD actions (AC, LH and even some EK aircraft have HD configs). I believe that the A380, which has had a dismal commercial debut, will within 5 years be the darling of the industry as worldwide seat demand grows exponentially but the pilot supply remains flat or dwindles.

Also, the USA demographics (i.e. aging population, more folks on a fixed income, overall lower wages, etc.) where UA is based, suggest that passengers are more price sensitive than ever. UA is likely betting that most travelers will become even more price conscious and will "suck it up" in 17 inch wide seats with 31 inch pitch. Heck, this is standard on LH and they pack them in !!!

Further, there is a wide income disparity in the USA and there are folks of means where price is not so much the issue but rather value, and UA will provide a product that is competitive to other airlines premium classes. With the increasingly more uncomfortable Y sections, these folks will stump up the extra fees to be seated in J. For those seeking upgrades, expect the Miles, fees and co-pays to rise exponentially.

Overall I am disappointed in the trade (777 for 787) decision, but the future for us travelers, especially those in international Y, is bleak.
The 777-300ER is not 20 year old technology. It has a new wing and engines (vs. 777-200ER) and entered service about 10 years ago. What United is trading is smaller for larger airplanes with a probably comparable acquisition cost.

The 777-300ER is a direct, albeit older generation, competitor with the A350-1000. I think it's most interesting that United is wiling to introduce a new type into its fleet when its replacement goes into service in 2 years. I would not be surprised to see the A350-1000 deliveries delayed in exchange for cheaper 777s.