FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Help with Southern Africa itinerary
View Single Post
Old Apr 25, 2015, 6:32 am
SafariCraig

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion, Million Miler, AMEX Platinum Card
I just answered this same question for you on Trip Advisor.

It sounds like a short and sweet trip. I have been on safari in Southern Africa every time of year and I took my own kids on a trip to South Africa and Botswana in March, 2008 that included a Kruger ecosystem safari combined with Okavango and Victoria Falls. They still reference that trip in day to day life.

My first suggestion is to drop Victoria Falls. If you go there you will spend 30 hours from the time you arrive at the airport in South Africa to fly there until the time you land back in South Africa. This investment will be for a 2 hour tour of the Falls. I suggest spending that time in Cape Town or, better yet, on safari. Much more restful even though you don’t mind bouncing around.

Furthermore, I think you could spend all your time on safari as six nights split at 2 safari lodges is about the minimum I would recommend to be fully satisfied with the wildlife experience for a “typical” guests on a first time trip.

FYI - There is a flight from Vic Falls (Zambia side, Livingstone/LVI) that flies to Kruger (MQP) several times per week. If you absolutely must see the Falls you could use this flight and get to the Kruger area late in the afternoon missing most of the first afternoon animal viewing activity.

Are you trying to book South Africa Airways (the only non-stop from New York)? If so, here is a plan:

Sat Fly JFK-JNB.

Sun Land JNB. Continue onward JNB-SZK. Go on safari at MalaMala Main, Kirkmans Kamp or Lion Sands River Lodge/Tinga.

Mon/Tue/Wed Safari
Th Fly non-stop SZK-CPT. Stay at 2 br More Quarters apartment or 2br suite at Cape Grace.

Fri/Sat Cape Town

Sun Fly CPT-JNB-JFK

Mon Land JFK at 6am and send the kids to school today!
There should be plenty of space at lodges so I think you are ok!

Botswana vs. South Africa:
I don’t think anyone that knows a lot about safaris will say the animal viewing is better in March in Botswana. At that time of year you will see more animals per day at a private game reserve in the Kruger ecosystem than anywhere in Botswana except arguably Chief’s Island.

You could also do all-safari in South Africa as follows:

Option 1
About $5500 per person if kids are over 12
Sun/Mon/Tue MalaMala
Wed/Thu/Fri/Sat Mashatu on Stay4Pay3 (Mashatu is technically in Botswana)

Option 2
About $5000 per person if kids are over 12
Sun/Mon/Tue Lion Sands River Lodge
Wed/Thu/Fri/Sat More Hotels Madikwe Lelapa

Option 3
About $7500 per person if kids are over 12
Sun/Mon/Tue Singita Boulders or Ebony Family room
Wed/Thu/Fri/Sat Tswalu Kalahari family room.

Craig Beal – owner – Travel Beyond