FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Luggage Tracking Technology
View Single Post
Old Apr 24, 2015, 10:02 am
HDQDD

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by GlobalTravelerMark
So yesterday I was standing at the baggage reclaim conveyor in LHR after very delayed 14 hour flight from SIN waiting and waiting for my bag to turn up. To me, this is the worse part of the journey because you are so close to home yet so far.

An hour later, bags were still coming out one by one and I got wondering what (if any technology exists) that could have told me that yes my bag was nearby (in the airport) even if it wasn't up on the carousel yet (and yes my bag eventually appeared 70 minutes after landing)

I have seen the TrackDot things that suggest they would tell me that "hey I'm in London" which would be great as I would have known the bag would arrive sooner or later.

I have also seen the bluetooth "tags" that you use for lost keys that suggest a range of 100m. I wonder if one of these would let me know again that my bag was perhaps not too far away or would the range be so bad as to only tell me my bad was close when I was actually up on the carousel?

The TrackDot looks like it might work but the reviews on here don't seem to rate it (although they are several months old now).

Ultimately I don't want to be stood waiting for an hour plus when my bag is never going to turn up.

Any suggestions?
Fly an airline that scans its bags at the carousel. I know Delta does (and you can see it in their app). You can also see if it was scanned on the same flight you were on, if it wasn't then you should file a claim and go home. I assume some other airlines probably do this by now as well, I just don't know which ones.