FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sheraton Columbia, SC, boutique hotel [Master Thread]
Old Apr 22, 2015, 6:18 pm
dingo

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Very consistent...ly lacking

I was hear almost exactly one year ago for a conference. After that stay, I posted the following comments on the hotel's website:

"If you're in Columbia and want to earn SPG points/stays this is your only choice. It is a historic looking hotel so you know there will be some quirkiness to it and I was fine with the odd shaped rooms, creaky floors, etc.

What I wasn't ok with was the lack of attention paid by staff. I checked in at 10:00 PM or so. I noticed a tray with what appeared to be breakfast (oatmeal, OJ) sitting on the table outside the elevator on my floor. It was still there when I came back from the bar about an hour alter. It was still there when I got up to go to the club lounge at 7:00 AM the next morning, but had been moved by someone on staff to put the USA Today's on that table. "

So one year later I decided that I once again need the stay and points so I'm here again.

I've been at the hotel less than 40 minutes and here are my observations/experiences:

- Booked a king suite; room not ready at check in at 7:35. Took about ten minutes and required the front desk agent to basically plead for help to the MOD over the phone. Resolved, sent on my way with a key to the club lounge.

- Head up to the room and as I walk off the elevator am greeted by, what else, a room service tray on the table in the exact same location as the one I'd seen for my entire stay last year! Could it be the same one?!

- Head up to the newly renovated club, walking by the room service tray on the table of course. The club is sparse, but I'm becoming accustomed to that at Sheratons. Some pepper jack cheese and fruit...no crackers, no nothing else.

- Get back to the room and want to get some dinner and get work done. But no room service menu. Hit the room service button on the phone, no one answers, get thrown to the general automated system telling me to press 1 for reservations, etc. Hit 0 to get to the front desk, and bounce right back to the automated system.

- Hang up and call back, get the front desk. Ask if there is room service at the hotel; yes there is. I don't have a menu, is there another way I need to order? No, I'll bring one right up to you. That was 25 minutes ago.

I will come back and post more...I have a feeling this might be an exciting stay!

- Right before I posted the first part of this I called room service again and asked the man who answered to tell me about the menu. I placed an order and it was brought up fairly promptly. Good burger actually. I think I also heard the room service gentleman clear the tray from the hallway.

- I'm assuming that the room service gentleman contacted the front desk agent to let her know that she didn't need to bring me a menu since I've still not received one.

Last edited by dingo; Apr 22, 2015 at 6:43 pm