FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - U.S. Travel Association's Daily Getaways 2015
Old Apr 22, 2015, 2:47 pm
iahphx
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
The Best Western deal finally sold out? It was available until a couple of days ago at least.

Yes, I did buy a bunch of the BW packages.
Originally Posted by eajusa
I did the limit - five. Will use the points in 2016 when I go to Yellowstone.
How do you make the math work?

I happened to be looking at Yellowstone accommodations last week, too -- perhaps the best place in the USA to use BW points.

But the math just didn't work.

I think the motels near the park are 28,000 points. That means, at DailyGetaways prices, you're paying about $150/room.

Now that MIGHT be cheaper than the actual room rates, but paying $150 to stay at a BW near Yellowstone isn't the deal of a lifetime. I think you're much better off staying in a cheap cabin/room IN the park for that price (admittedly, it takes effort: book far in advance, or pick up the cancellations as they come in closer to travel date). And if you're not willing to put in that effort, you can go on Kayak and find a decent motel near Yellowstone for about $150 (especially a non-chain motel). No prepayment necessary.

And Yellowstone is one of the BETTER places to use BW points. That's the problem with that promo -- they sell the points for too much money. A comparable Choice hotel would cost about $75 on points. Which is why Choice points sell fast and BW points don't.