FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is Emirates a financial scam?
View Single Post
Old Apr 21, 2015, 8:44 pm
Xlr

Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
Originally Posted by iahphx
Anything relating to the fuel hedge losses in there?

As previously noted the case against Etihad and Qatar is a slam dunk: they are obviously huge loss-making enterprises propped up by their governments. The only question is how should the US respond to this. Either you say we don't care (cheap flights for everyone!) or you restrict their service in the name of unfair competition.

Emirates is way more difficult to analyze -- especially from the outside -- because the whole company (and perhaps the whole country) is an integrated shell game where you can allocate costs anyway you want to. The fuel hedge situation is perhaps a window into this creative accounting. Without carefully combing through their books -- and we'll see if Emirates lets the US government actually do this -- it's very difficult to tell if they're truly a "for profit" enterprise. I've always maintained that (without looking at the books) the best evidence that they're not a profitable enterprise is that they do things that nobody else in the aviation world could do and not lose tons of money. They fly 60 A380s, and have 80 more on order, operating out of a city of 2 million people. The USA has 320 million people and not a single airline has bought a single A380. Pretty weird, no?
Nope, nothing related to fuel hedge losses in the 1000+ pages released today. The fuel hedge is from 2009, the documents today are from the '90s.

I think we all agree that EK isn't purely for-profit in the sense of maximizing the monetary returns to the shareholder alone. Much of what they do involves promoting Dubai as a stopover destination, which benefits the shareholder in indirect ways (tourist money).

EK happens to (claim to) be profitable and pay dividends to its shareholder. EY and QR don't. I'm inclined to believe them because EK's shareholder doesn't have much money (in fact, it's in debt).