FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature) [2012-2015]
Old Apr 21, 2015, 5:58 pm
t325

Originally Posted by tmiw
For online transactions it doesn't seem to matter. Some countries have implemented 3D Secure though but merchants don't seem to like it since it causes people to cancel purchases. Maybe mandating CVV2 will work better, especially if it's dynamic somehow.
I'm actually surprised CVV2 isn't mandated, and I'm even more surprised by the major retailers that don't support it. I recently added a new card on Amazon and they don't ask for the CVV2 code. You'd think one of the largest online retailers would have CVV2, it's not like it's newer technology like EMV or NFC.

Originally Posted by upnorth
At Homedepot, every store transaction, they physically note and record the number at the back of the card. This number also got stolen at HD.
You sure it's not the last 4 of the number they're entering? Some stores do that to make sure the last 4 match the number on the magstrip, since sometimes thieves overwrite the magstrip on old or expired cards with stolen numbers so they have a physical card they can use in store (this is what chip prevents).

Originally Posted by MASTERNC
Well, all those EMV slot activations at Target have some merit. There was an article about production of the chips in the US, and the following tidbit was mentioned:

Chip-Card Rollout Has Banks, Retailers Scrambling
Wasn't Target mid 2014? Then late 2014? Then early 2015? Now it's mid 2015? I'll believe it when I see it. Ditto for Home Depot. There's no excuse for the retailers that have had breaches to be dragging their feet with EMV.