FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Any women travelers feel invisible?
View Single Post
Old Apr 21, 2015, 11:46 am
MrMan

I was lurking this thread, mostly agreeing with the comments. What did strike me though as a man who is on the road in hotels weekly, was the tipping aspect. I do find men tip better and tend to overtip. I find it fascinating the several who emphasis on pre tax tipping in that the calculation is so precise. The difference in the dollar figure would fall into the 'who cares' zone. I typically calculate roughly 10% of total bill and double it rounding up to the next dollar. Would never consider "pre-tax". I would need to bring out the calculator. I think if my associates would find it would give off the perception of being cheap. Also I worked as a bartender in my past life and men tend to tip more/drink and drink more so that means better service. If you want better service at a bar tip heavily after your first cocktail and you won't have any issues. I find tipping the bartender in London where it's not custom will often get me better service.

For those that don't like eating alone in hotel, the hotel bar is your friend. Better service and not as awkward.