FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Mediocre crowds at luxury hotels
View Single Post
Old Apr 20, 2015, 5:40 pm
bhrubin
Suspended

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I don't consider myself uptight - although some might disagree - but I am not of the mindset that simply paying to stay at a high-end hotel or resort entitles one to dress or behave in an inappropriate fashion that disturbs others.
There is bad behavior everywhere, even in luxury environments. But there is far less bad behavior in luxury establishments, so I'm not sure what the problem is. Common sense standards are as much in the eye of the beholder as truly about common sense. That's why so few are wiling to share specific examples--since doing so will only invite critical comments from others finding them uptight and/or uncouth.

Unless you are in the confines of your own accommodation, and out of sight and earshot of others, there are common sense standards that need to be respected when one is sharing public space with others.

It is really more about behavior and manners than about attire.
"Behavior and manners"--according to whom?

"Out of sight"--suggesting that someone's appearance is somehow problematic for anyone who might see them? That suggests the manner of dress, which you yourself just above dismissed as being as relevant.

"Out of earshot"--suggesting that people need to speak according to some sort of code? Whose code?

Elitism comes in all forms, and to me this discussion simply suggests another form. Some want people to behave as they do, look as they do, and be as they are. Tough.