FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Group wants to sue Air Canada for not reflecting actual ticket price
Old Apr 19, 2015, 10:57 pm
24left
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by canadiancow
So let's say I'm running a national ad campaign for a product. What price do I advertise? Or should I have 13 different ad campaigns for the same product because of tax differences?

Originally Posted by robsaw
That is exactly what happens quite often with a variety of products, particularly in print media but also for TV and radio with variations of the same ad running in different regions. If it is a single national ad, then it is structured to comply across-the-board.

There are rarely if ever national ads that include prices. Or if they do, to save ad space in the fine print, they would say "with prices starting at....."
Retailers have different price points not only by province and by city, but there can even been slight variations in the same city.

Factoring into prices are differences in provincial taxes, for example, or the addition of environmental fees for some products. Thus, the base cost of a product might be the same, but the final amount won't be.

National ad campaigns for many products tend to focus on the brand not the price. The secondary level within defined geographic zone, would have prices.

Also, Quebec has some very well defined consumer protection legislation.