FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What does a complimetary upgrade mean anyway?
Old Apr 18, 2015, 1:54 pm
NDN

Programs: Marriott Titanium and LTP, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by orca15
I had a couple of rooms booked for tonight at a Residence Inn (Fairfax, VA).

Called ahead to ask for an upgrade since otherwise one of us will be sleeping on the sofa bed. The FDC says "Yes I have a 2 bedroom but it's for sale, not available for an upgrade. I'd give you one if I had one but I only have the ones for sale left, no upgrades."

???

Ignoring the fact I'm not actually at the hotel now, which would have been a perfectly acceptable response ("if it is still open when you arrive I will give it to you"), am I correct to think that I should get this UG from a 1 bedroom suite to a 2 bedroom suite if I ask for it?

Added: From the T&C:
Complimentary Room Upgrade: Based on room availability at check-in and limited to a Member's personal guestroom. Upgrades may include rooms with desirable views, rooms on high floors, corner rooms, rooms with special amenities, rooms on Executive Floors, or suites. All upgrades are granted on a space-available basis, as determined at the time of check-in. Upgrades are subject to availability and identified by each hotel.

Are they perhaps invoking the "upgrades are identified by the hotel?" I thought that meant they could say "that slightly better room is an upgrade" not "that obviously better room is not an upgrade."
The upgrade does not apply to 2-bedroom suites for RI properties. It is permissible for the hotel to upgrade you, but you are supposed to use an instant upgrade instead generally.