FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Group wants to sue Air Canada for not reflecting actual ticket price
Old Apr 17, 2015, 9:49 pm
24left
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Whoa. Let's look a one of your comments:
People who seems either lazy or clueless or both as to the rules and regs of buying airline tickets (and if you need further examples, check AC's FB page).

I don't doubt that some people are stupid or that they don't read the most evident of the rules. However, an ethical company that sells products or services to the general public has an obligation to not engage in deceptive advertising. A strong argument can be made that AC worded its rules and structured its advertising, in the period to which this case applies, in such a manner as to cause confusion and to mislead the "average" man/woman. I have a decent education and manage complex contracts on a regular basis, yet I still find the AC rules of ticketing and fare structure confusing. Hopefully, this case changes the AC approach and forces AC to use clearer language and to be more transparent. If it accomplishes that, then the majority of consumers will benefit.

I stated my opinion.

AC might in fact be responsible for consumer confusion or other issues in this case. I was not stating a legal opinion.

I have no illusions that ticketing rules and those details written in 4pt font size are going to change. If AC ticketing rules are so complex, how is it nothing has really been done about changing the wording?

There are many other examples in this forum of some pax who did not even read the rules for changes, cancellations, or paying for specific seats if on Tango fares. How much of all of this is going to be blamed on AC or other airlines?

The world is a different place than when only TAs booked travel. Not everyone who flies wants to read the COC or the Fare Rules. I see it right on my ticket as well as in the link. Many people don't want to pay for travel insurance. How many people book on aggregator sites and also don't read or understand those sites' cancellation policies? The list goes on.

Anyway, the case will move on and perhaps AC will be forced to make some changes and we will all see different wording. It will not change how some people choose to book and manage their travel details.