FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - SFO-LAX on the new American
View Single Post
Old Apr 17, 2015, 11:53 am
fanger

Programs: AA Explat, UA former 1K + PremExec, DL
I definitely notice the OW connections- they seem to represent half the plane on a lot of the flights. Of course I can't really know, just guessing based on passports and BPs I can see while they board.

It's an interesting question to me. I understand that airlines have all sorts of constraints that aren't readily apparent to the customer, and that they have more information about profitability, etc. available to them, but at the same time I'm not convinced that they make the best decisions all the time, even by their own standards.

With the consolidation by the legacy carriers, I am thinking that there has to be pressure to compete on network and flight availability in large markets, to differentiate from WN, VX and VLCCs. I am not sure loyalty to AA makes sense at any economic level for Bay Area flyers unless you assign very high values to FF program redemptions. Which may not be crazy, but definitely doesn't much apply to most flyers.

Originally Posted by malexander131
I do SFO-LAX for a few weeks at a time every couple of months and it would be very nice if they upped the frequencies. The new Eagle flights provide some flexibility but honestly landing at the remote terminal is such a time suck, especially for a short route like this. Also, I'm not sure when you're flying but often times in the mornings, especially on weekends, the captive market is tour groups and those making Int'l OW connections at LAX.

Hopefully when Compass starts flying for AA they get their hands on some 175's and go toe to toe with Delta on the shuttle service (which IIRC has seen a decrease in frequencies since it first started). The 175 is a great plane for this kind of route and perhaps the economics of connecting passengers to O&D can make it a bit more friendly...