FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ever seen a "Pretty Woman" Moment?
View Single Post
Old Apr 17, 2015, 6:50 am
gooselee
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by burbuja0512
I actually don't really like the concept of a Pretty Woman moment. It doesn't happen too often, but when I plan to make a purchase and go into a store where I'm not helped out (perhaps I'm wearing my workout clothes, or going in with my kids) I will vote with my dollar and leave.

This is especially true in cases where people work on commission. I'd rather avoid the amazing moment just to make sure that the snobby staff didn't get a dime of my money!

..that being said, it would be interesting to see
+1

I look young for my age, thankfully earn more than most my age, and am not of the racial majority in my country.

In one instance, I was at a nicer, mid-tier men's clothing store trying to buy a suit. Without even offering to measure me or otherwise assist, one of the salespeople came over to me, asked if I was shopping for myself, and then told me that the boys department at Macy's might be a more appropriate place to shop.

I immediately went to the front of the store, let the manager know what my budget that day was (which was adequate to buy nearly anything in that store), and that at his employee's suggestion I would be taking all my future business elsewhere. Never stepped foot in there again.

Most cases I've seen or experienced like this have been in retail establishments. Hotels and the like seem to be better about treating guests with dignity.