FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Mileage Runs turnarounds / turnabouts / transits:- Experiences please
Old Jan 31, 2004, 12:50 pm
usoftie

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PokerHammy:
Anyone had experience of doing MRs every week to London six times in a row? How does the UK customs treat you, and what about the US customs? Did you make purchases?

I'm looking at the Customs website and it states that only one $800 dutyfree declaration may be declared every 30 days. This is NOT good for me as I intended to connect to other European countries and will certainly buy souvenirs...
</font>

If you're doing a true mileage run (i.e. 2-4 hours in London), the more important rule is that you only get the $800 exemption if you have been gone for at least 48 hours. And if neither of these apply (either because you were gone &lt;48 hours or you used the exemption already in the last 30 days), then you still have a $200 exemption per trip. See http://www.customs.ustreas.gov/xp/cg..._exemption.xml