FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Mileage Runs turnarounds / turnabouts / transits:- Experiences please
Old Nov 10, 2003, 3:48 pm
luftaom

Programs: QF Platinum
I'll echo the comments of the other Australians regarding Canada. I was on a RTW ticket with a rather 'silly' routing; SYD-AKL-PPT-LAX-YYZ was the first hit (all in one go) and I had no end of problems when I got to YYZ.

After presenting to the passport counters the lady asked the usual questions and then squiggled on my landing card. On the basis of the squiggle I was pulled aside before entering the baggage claim area. I was sent down a corridor where there were little interviewing rooms. At this stage I had been on the go for 30 odd hours (thankfully the NZ upgrade AKL-LAX was the only thing keeping me awake at this point in time).

The lady that was interviewing me was less than friendly ... upon telling her that I was only staying 2 nights in Canada, had prepaid the accom in full and had plenty of money for the stay; she snapped "I'll be the judge of how much money you have". She then went through my passport with a fine tooth comb, using verious UV lights and other tools to check its authenticity and the stamps in it. She then wanted to see my ticket which is where the next problem started. She wanted to know why I hadnt flown directly from SYD-LAX on UA, and had instead chosen a circular routing on NZ.

I explained that I didn't really want to fly on UA after what had happened and at any rate the service on NZ was superb. She then wanted to know why I had booked the non stop NZ flight - to which my answer was that I had an upgrade credit with NZ and the most it was good for was AKL-PPT, and consequently as I wouldnt get a chance to use it before it expired, thats the routing I took. She openly told me that she didn't believe a word of this and now wanted to see my money.

I was in the process of getting the cash and travellers cheques out of my money belt (one of those ones with elastic that goes under your jumper). She then snapped that she wanted to see the entire contents of the belt and then snapped if I had any other things hidden away on my person I should tell her now. (I mean how unusual is it for someone to have their cash strapped to their person along with the other important travel documents).

Anyway - she counted the money (of which there was more than plenty for a two night stay) ... she then looked at the onward ticket (YYZ-YUL-YHZ-YYT-LHR for two days later) and asked a couple of questions about that... then came her discovery of my British Passport. This passport is several years old and doesn't have a single stamp in it ... this caused her no end of angst... she asked "where did you get this from" to which my answer was "the British High Commission in Canberra" ... she took this as a personal insult and told me not to get smart with her as she had the power to deport me (I knew it was only 6 or so hours till the next flight to LHR and boy was I tempted to tell her that I would get on that)... at any rate eventually after going through all her questions again she put a stamp in my passport and then asked "how long are you staying again?" to which I replied two days ... so she wrote a visa validity underneath the stamp of 6 months!

My bag was being watched by the customs official who had just two bags to clear before going home for the night (mine and that of the bloke who was still being grilled about his passport)... I handed him my card and he said "have a nice stay" and that was that!

Looks like Canadian customs are to be avoided if at all possible...