FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Jump Start Charge
View Single Post
Old Apr 15, 2015, 9:58 am
jtatlanta

Programs: DL DIA, BA Gold
Jump Start Charge

So flyertalk friends what should I do here?

As a background I am a very frequent Avis renter, preferred etc:

A few months ago I rented a brand new Kia from Avis. After driving to my hotel 300 miles away and parking to unload luggage I went back to the car and it would not start! I was offered a jump start by hotel and co-workers but declined and called Avis as I was concerned the car was at fault. Avis responded that they would send someone out and give me a jumpstart/check the battery. I asked at least twice if there would be a charge and was told no charge whatsoever.

An hour later the call out guy arrives and we jump the car. He thinks there may be a bad cell in the battery (car is brand new) and confirms there will be no charge.

I continue to drive the car with no more issues (weird) and return it a few days later.

Now I find a charge on my Amex statement for $53 for a jump start. I call Avis customer service twice and am basically told I cannot prove the helpdesk told me no charge and they are not going to issue a refund. Pretty much called me a liar.

Clearly I am shocked and upset they are treating me this way but I am also now getting angry and will not let this drop. Here are my questions/thoughts:

1, Is this the way Avis treat someone who is one of there best customer. Clearly by the response and attitude of customer service they could not care less. I have spent thousands with them this year already and get treated this way.

2, All calls to help desk are recorded so evidence must exist for the initial call I made where I was told no fee. Can I push to get them to release the call detail?

3, The car is brand new (Kia) and already covered by a free customer call out. How can Avis charge me for something covered by a new car warranty. Can I find out if they got a refund from Kia?

4, It would be interesting to see if other folks have had the same issue with this car in subsequent rentals. Can I find this out?

Thanks for any help.