FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - WN Widens 737 Y Seats for More Comfort - Will UA Follow?
Old Apr 15, 2015, 12:05 am
sbm12
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Are you claiming there is no physical difference in comfort between a 17.1" 737 seat and a 18" A320 seat?
No. I never said anything remotely close to that. I said that measuring between the arm rests is a game the companies play. And they are definitely playing that game these days in an effort to make economy class passengers believe that things are not getting even more cramped in the back.

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Since I doubt you've actually seen or tested the WN seat, it's premature to claim the upgrade as a "measuring trick" and there is no difference in seat cushion size.
You are correct that I have not yet sat in it. I made that quite clear above. B/E Aerospace is a pain in the arse at this conference in terms of getting access to the booth for such.

I did, however, sit in the new 11-abreast A380 design which Airbus claims still has the 18" seat width. And it does between the arm rests. But the arm rests are also materially narrower. Shoulder space is tighter. So is foot space, particularly at the window seat where passengers will have only ~13" of width despite being supposedly in an "18 inch seat" there. I have photos showing that which I'm editing at some point today hopefully. I'll be sure to share when I have that completed.