FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - WN Widens 737 Y Seats for More Comfort - Will UA Follow?
Old Apr 14, 2015, 11:52 pm
bocastephen
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by sbm12
Yes.

WN is measuring from inside the arm rests. By making the arm rest narrower the distance between the arm rests increases. Even though passengers are just as crammed together as always. Airbus played similar games when demoing the 11-abreast layout A380 in Hamburg this week. I'm still trying to get in to the B/E Aerospace booth here to see the seats in person and confirm a few things, but every indication so far is that these "wider seats" are really nothing of the sort.
Sorry, I disagree. Either the seat cushion is wider or it's not. This is something any customer can feel for themselves, not to mention measure. Are you claiming there is no physical difference in comfort between a 17.1" 737 seat and a 18" A320 seat?

Since I doubt you've actually seen or tested the WN seat, it's premature to claim the upgrade as a "measuring trick" and there is no difference in seat cushion size.

Originally Posted by transportprof
Can Boca please clarify his last paragraph above?

Is UA considering a "more punishing and harsh seat model" than their recent slimlines? What could that be? A bed of nails?
I meant the slimline seats they recently bought, hence little incentive to change to a new seat that offers more comfort.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 15, 2015 at 1:10 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member -- please use multi-quote