FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - WN Widens 737 Y Seats for More Comfort - Will UA Follow?
Old Apr 14, 2015, 11:13 pm
bocastephen
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Kacee
Isn't this just a measuring trick? Actual seat width on the 737 is constrained by aircraft width. If it was an Airbus, I'd believe the seat was actually wider.
No, I don't believe so - WN isn't that stupid, especially when they are claiming the seat is physically bigger. WN customers would be able to spot a trick rather easily, especially as they move between the old and new seats.

Not sure how they did it aside from narrowing the aisle, but they are not the only airline with wider Y seats on the 737 - Japan Airlines has a new type of wide seat that is almost 18" and it might be the same seat that WN is buying.

Originally Posted by State of Trance
Is there actually a noticeable difference going from 17" to 18"? I flew on a UA 787 not too long ago, and while people love to complain about the seat width, it honestly felt the same as any other Y seat. I feel like Y is Y, and it's going to be just as uncomfortable regardless of another .5" or so.
Yes there is a noticeable difference. You can experience it on UA, just connect from a 737 to a A3xx.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Apr 15, 2015 at 4:32 am Reason: multi-quote should be used