FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What a difference a good gate agent can make!
Old Apr 14, 2015, 9:14 pm
Anudoric

Originally Posted by avidflyer
Yep. The metric they are working to is on-time departure. If they ever make the metric customer focused (provide a the best product experience through all phases of the flight) your experience would be the norm but I do not think that will ever happen.
The thing is, Delta does measure its agents based on customer service metrics. The issue is that what that GA did is probably overall poor customer service when surveys get sent out. Premium & SP passengers might think it's great service (and I do too!) but the Zone 2 & 3 passengers hate being told to wait their turn.

If Delta agents weren't measured by what Zone 2/3 passengers say/indicate in surveys, then we'd see more gate agents like this.

It'd be easy for me to do this, but my supervisors frown because it requires me to be confrontational and that hurts my survey scores (overall). Whenever I do stand my ground against a Zone 2 boarding with First Class, the Zone 2 person either makes a scene or complains. Maybe 1 Medallion will thank me if I'm very lucky.

I'll try what this JFK agent did tomorrow at work and see how it turns out...