FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 30+ people offloaded from LAX-LHR flight
View Single Post
Old Apr 14, 2015, 4:33 pm
Enigma368

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Originally Posted by dylanks
In my experience, BA is incredibly conservative and far more proactive in offloading passengers, at least in comparison to the US legacy carriers. While AA really won't start offloading you until you're clearly not there and it's time to get standby passengers on the plane and then depart, BA will basically automatically move you if the computer says you cannot make the connection. BA will almost never hold a plane for a large number of passengers, because Heathrow is so slot constrained, whereas a US-based carrier will typically hold a plane if that many people are going to be a few minutes late.

I'm not really sure why the approaches seem so different, though I know I prefer the approach that attempts to get as many people there on-time as possible.
Oh weird. The BA gate agents made a big thing about how AA had offloaded us but maybe AA were just adhering to BA policy or else maybe gate agents were mistaken.

In any case, if you turn up at the gate on time, checked in and with a valid boarding pass, surely saying "sorry we offloaded you cos we thought you wouldn't make it" is not a fair reason to deny boarding?

OTOH, I guess if that happened, EU261 might apply?

Last edited by Enigma368; Apr 14, 2015 at 5:07 pm