FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Twelve Days Across Africa
View Single Post
Old Apr 13, 2015, 7:16 am
DanielW

We were driving ~70 kilometres to the village of Douguia, where Claude's hotel, Station Touristique de Douguia, was located on the banks of the Chari River.

Passing some heavy traffic on the drive north.

We then stopped about half-way at a mud hut village to get some containers of fuel.

Claude with the fuel salesman.

Cattle.

We arrived at the hotel at 12:30pm and I then had lunch in the restaurant with Claude. His English was only minimal and my French was close to zero, but with a bit of persistence and some sign language we managed to have a bit of a conversation. He also mentioned about an excursion this afternoon to see an 'Elephant'. I wasn't aware that there were any elephants in arid Chad so was very intrigued.

I then had a walk around the hotel compound. It was situated right on the banks of the Chari River, and could see across to Cameroon on the other side.

The bungalow where I would be sleeping for the next three nights.

And my room, complete with AC and mosquito net. After being up since 1am, I quickly crashed out for a couple of hours and had a good nap.

After a good rest I met up with my guide and driver and we went for a drive in the Landcruiser to see this mysterious 'Elephant'. A very full 4WD we passed on the hour long drive north.