FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Global Entry - Dual Citizenship
View Single Post
Old Apr 13, 2015, 5:12 am
GUWonder
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by DerSchnelleFlieger
It looks like the process is different depending on which officer you deal with at the GE center.

I recently became naturalized and changed my Green Card info to US passport. The officer asked about dual citizenship since my German passport was listed, which I truthfully answered that I have kept my German citizenship.

He raised his eyebrows and told me (not very friendly) that I renounced my German citizenship when I became naturalized. So he deleted my German passport details and now there are only the US details in the GOES system. I didn't argue the issue as it seems irrelevant - I will never enter the country with the German passport in hand anyway.

If any immigration officer asks about it, I can tell him my friendly encounter.
I would not be surprised if a CBP employee doing these interviews would mistakenly assume that Germany currently prohibits all its citizens from holding dual-citizenship.

CBP hires a lot of former US military personnel. And plenty of US citizens with a history of being stationed in Germany for the US military under SOFA (or of being affiliated with and talking about this with those who have been there under SOFA) have been under the impression that Germany requires German citizens to surrender German citizenship if naturalizing in another country, specifically if naturalizing to become a US citizen.

But all that said, look at the current naturalization oath:

http://www.uscis.gov/us-citizenship/...states-america

While there are certain allowances for waivers or modifications in the oath, there is no such thing allowed when it comes to renunciation of foreign allegiance for those required to take the oath to become naturalized.

Whether or not the foreign state acknowledges such naturalization as an act of renunciation, well that may vary. Some countries that used to prohibit dual-citizenship but now allow for dual-citizenship have allowances for their former citizens who naturalized abroad to rather easily re-attain their former citizenship. Talk about a roundabout way to deal with such naturalization oaths.

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 13, 2015 at 5:23 am