FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Want to upgrade International BUS award to FIRST
Old Apr 12, 2015, 9:20 pm
jridge

Programs: OW Emerald
It seems to me the bigger problem is with the statement

Originally Posted by ScubaAddict
Do all I need to do is call AA booking and ask them to merge my hold with my current reservation?
You essentially have two PNRs, and as far as I'm aware there is no real way to "merge" the two.

If you call, essentially what they will first do is check the availability without regard to what you have on hold. If there is availability, your hold can be disregarded and (assuming valid routing etc. as Jon wrote) it would be a simple case of the extra miles.

Assuming there's no availability, I think (and I'm willing to be educated otherwise) there's three possibilities. Either they cancel what is on hold and HOPE that it goes back into inventory immediately and can be grabbed - far from guaranteed (and maybe if you've got high enough status it can be coordinated better?); or your two PNRs must remain separate and be processed as such; or you cancel the ticketed reservations and add the domestic segments to the one you've got on hold (in which case I'd assume a reinstatement fee applies).