FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015
Old Apr 12, 2015, 8:21 am
RickyBobby

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, DL Diamond 1MM, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AMEX 2015 Centurion
Originally Posted by mattrendell27
Just curious about the argument between max credit line and number of cards. My wife only has 24K total credit on her three Chase cards and the recon rep said many times that she "had enough cards" or "had too many cards" and never mentioned that the current level of credit was as much as Chase could extend.

I will say we're both in our mid 20's and relatively new to credit (pretty short AAoA). And I probably overextended myself applying for too many Chase cards in a short window.

So ultimately do you think that its the "too many recent requests for credit and opened accounts" that is the main problem? I guess I'm saying if the applications had been spread apart better would Chase be more willing to extend more credit (i.e. they don't have a problem with the total amount of credit currently extended)?
I can definitely attest to this...I currently have 5 personal cards and 1 biz card and it has taken about 3 years to get there. When I first started with Chase, the first year I applied for and was approved for CSP and Freedom (applied the same day) and 6 months later, I applied for Marriott and Ink and was turned down with them citing the "too many cards" as well as telling me they would like to see more tenure with not only their cards but the other cards I had as well (I had opened a bunch of new cards with different banks at the same time as CSP and Freedom). I waited another 6 months and was approved for Ink and Marriott and another year later approved for Ritz and IHG. Total CL exposure with Chase is about $50k now. Give it time and tenure on all your accounts, and Chase will give you guys more.