FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Chase purchase protection issues [Consolidated]
Old Apr 10, 2015, 12:33 pm
robr

This is turning out to be more trouble than it's worth. Bought my wife some Oakley sunglasses for Christmas for around $100 on my Chase Sapphire. We went to FL for vacation and they vanished from the hotel room before she had even worn them once.

So I file my claim via phone. Chase connects me to a third party company.
They tell me I can't submit a claim by phone, they will mail me paperwork which I need to fill out and send back.
I get the paperwork, fill it out, send it back.
Several days later I get an email saying I need to mail back a copy of the purchase receipt and a copy of my Chase bill showing the purchase.
I mail those back (can't submit via email)
Just got an email yesterday saying:

We have reviewed the documents submitted for your Purchase Protection Claim. In order to move forward with processing your claim we are requesting copies of the following:

A copy of the paid receipt showing that the lost item has been replaced. When an item is lost, you would be required to purchase a replacement item within 6 months from the date of the incident. The replacement item must be identical or comparable to the item claimed. The benefit would provide coverage for up to the original purchase price of the item or the replacement cost, whichever is less, not exceeding the maximum amount of the benefit.

As it so happens, my wife didn't want to wait around so she replaced them with the exact same model, and found them on sale for $40. So, they will reimburse me $40. All this time and paperwork simply isn't worth $40 to me. Had I known I'd have to jump through all these hoops, I never would have filed a claim in the first place... which is probably the point.