FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is Hotels.com "free night" better than rewards program?
Old Apr 10, 2015, 12:04 pm
Wyleeguy79

Industry problem

I use hotels.com when I have to stay someplace without a rewards program.

However, I think the hotel industry at large has a problem. This year my company started a travel department that books for us, and always uses hotels.com so the exec's can stay for free. I understand hotels don't like paying rewards to their own programs and hotels.com but... for people like me you are shooting yourself in the foot. If you don't give me rewards for staying I am not going to maintain my brand loyalty. I have some ideas how to resolve this, but I am not sure hotel chains care/are interested.

Using my travel department is mandatory, but I get to pick where I stay. So if they still gave me rewards, I could maintain my loyalty.

Another thing I have noticed recently is owner operated vs. franchise hotels are so much worse when owner operated. I just finished a stay at a Courtyard Marriot where you could not adjust your thermostat. The front desk said the manager set it for the rooms. This was new jersey and it was cold the whole time I was there. Holiday Inn in Tornoto, major construction forced them to deliver breakfast, which was far from the usual Holiday inn standards etc. So it just adds insult to injury to not get rewards and deal with this cheap BS.