FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA Tier Point Runs | 2015 master thread
View Single Post
Old Apr 9, 2015, 2:42 am
bowlingformatt

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hilton Gold, Alitalia STE+
Originally Posted by Spock77
Hello. I have just returned from a 5-day TP run to HNL (of course!) and thought I would share a piece of advice for anyone who is thinking of doing the same. The exact routing was DUB-LHR-JFK-PHX-HNL-LAX-JFK-LCY-DUB.

I have read previously on the forum about how old the AA/US planes flying to and from PHX and HNL are, but I was not prepared for how uncomfortable they were even in First Class. The AA planes had very good legroom, to be fair, but absolutely no lumbar support. The US planes had surprisingly little legroom though the seats had better back support. Neither reclined very far. One of my flights (HNL-LAX) was overnight and I would definitely NOT do this again.

On the LAX-JFK routing, however, I was on one of the newer, 3-class AA planes with a lie-flat seat in Business Class, and that was absolutely wonderful and allowed me to catch up on some lost sleep. Fewer Tier Points, admittedly, but infinitely more comfortable.
Thanks for this. Doing exactly same route end of 2015 and am dreading the HNL-LAX sector. Given that VX aren't launching SFO - HNL/OGG until November and December respectively I can't see AA making major changes to the equipment used on that route until 2016 at the earliest though.

Pigs have flown before though and I may be proven wrong...