FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Help planning May/June Euro trip
View Single Post
Old Apr 7, 2015, 11:00 am
highlanderfil

Originally Posted by stimpy
Thanks for the tip as I've never heard of the Sinsheim. I'll try to check it out someday. For cars alone, my favorite is the Merle Norman in Sylmar California. One of the best collections in the world AND all the cars are regularly driven. That makes it extra special. Also it has the finest collection of orchestrions as a bonus.
Sinsheim is a lot bigger and more varied than I anticipated. There are a bunch of planes you can check out from the inside (two supersonic passenger jets are particularly notable), a massive F1 collection which I loved and just a lot of other cool exhibits. Definitely worth the drive.

Sylmar, eh? That's about a half-hour drive from where my parents live. Might have to look into that next time I'm visiting.
But the Chateau here in Burgundy has what must be the largest collection of fighter jets. Certainly the largest in private hands, but I think it must be the most diverse in the world with fighters from many different countries. And it has the largest collection of Abarth cars including one that one at Le Mans. And if you like wine, it has the added advantage of being in the center of the finest wine region in the world. The day I went the owner was there and he loves talking about his collection. ^
I'm not huge on fighter jets, but I am still going to try to check this place out.