FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - X100/X100s/X100t
View Single Post
Old Apr 6, 2015, 4:53 pm
deniah

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by andyd
I disagree with this commentary - I found it nice and sharp wide open, and thought the battery life was OK. I thought the 16MP sensor of the S was great.

I did have some different downsides - the autofocus is way too slow on the S and the RAWs sometimes come out a little 'paint'ish or pastel-hued when sent through Lightroom. You desaturating a tiny bit deals with that nicely.

It takes a lot of getting used to, but it is possible to get used to it.

Why do I talk in the past tense ? Mine hit a watery end in a ramen stall in FUK. :-( I replaced it with the XE-2 as I wanted to have more flexibility than offered by the X100s (namely, an even faster lens, and something around the 50mm @35mm equivalent). The XE-2 is great, essentially I wanted a camera that gave me as many options as my usual 5D but at a fraction of the weight for trips which I take for reasons other than photography.

I wish it was smaller though so might buy a used X100S again as a P+S.
I coincidentally just taken the x100s for a big trip camping through the northeast. I took 3 cams (1 full frame and 1 m43)....just fell back in love with the 35mm eFOV and used it most the time. Easy because its landscape and theres no AF to consider.

Its still fiddly. Power switch gets knocked easily coming in and out of the bag. Doesnt fully power or does funny sleep thing (because of aforementioned problem) or otherwise not quick to start.

Battery still horrible. Always carried backups and charged it in the car.

Obviously whether you like cam or not you cant shoot ultra wide or tele so that is one hard limitation of the cam as a primary device. (The adapters go to 28 and 50 which is still standard).

And the lens diameter isnt really made for filters

I like it... Just wouldnt recommend it as a main camera