FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Exchange Rates for Certs & Gift Cards
View Single Post
Old Apr 6, 2015, 4:40 pm
CanadaDH

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by PointWeasel
I noticed that the Princess Acapulco took 2 certs from my profile and 4 days later, I still have yet to receive a folio showing the transactions and certs exchange rate.

According to Oanda today, I should get 370 MXN per 25 USD certificate. With the terrible service at the property, I would not be suprised if they screw me on the exchange rate. That would be icing on the cake with them.

I will post the update when I find out as a datapoint.
he Oanda rate is only used on gift cards put through the GC terminal. FPC certificates are converted to the local currency using the posted exchange rate at the property; the same rate they would use if you walked up with USD cash (there's usually a sign near the front desk with the current rates). It's not going to be a good rate at any business, Fairmont hotels included. However, that's the method the T&Cs say is to be used. It's not the property screwing you... it's the FPC program that mandates the use of that poor rate. However, it is the local property screwing you when they refuse to convert it at all!