FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - X100/X100s/X100t
View Single Post
Old Apr 6, 2015, 10:12 am
shutter

Programs: BAEC Gold, HH Diamond, Avis PP. Dropped UA*G.
Originally Posted by deniah
-*lens is quite soft at 2.0 negating that nice big aperture
-operation is fussy and slow... even newest iteration of X100s with newest firmware
--if you like the idea of the camera, buy a used X100 with updated firmware
-battery is horrendous
-some say the 12MP CMOS sensor of X100 renders more favorably than the 16MP X-Trans sensor of X100s and X100t........ i really cant tell TBH
I disagree with this commentary - I found it nice and sharp wide open, and thought the battery life was OK. I thought the 16MP sensor of the S was great.

I did have some different downsides - the autofocus is way too slow on the S and the RAWs sometimes come out a little 'paint'ish or pastel-hued when sent through Lightroom. You desaturating a tiny bit deals with that nicely.

It takes a lot of getting used to, but it is possible to get used to it.

Why do I talk in the past tense ? Mine hit a watery end in a ramen stall in FUK. :-( I replaced it with the XE-2 as I wanted to have more flexibility than offered by the X100s (namely, an even faster lens, and something around the 50mm @35mm equivalent). The XE-2 is great, essentially I wanted a camera that gave me as many options as my usual 5D but at a fraction of the weight for trips which I take for reasons other than photography.

I wish it was smaller though so might buy a used X100S again as a P+S.